Cornwall 01872 262828
Devon 01392 213333
Chiltern House, City Road, Truro, TR1 2JL
We want your email to get to the right team to help you, so please use the links below that best suits your enquiry.
Our client based in Bodmin are looking for a Head of IT Security, a Senior Manager who directs strategy, operations and the budget for the protection of the enterprise information assets and manages that program. The scope of responsibility will encompass communications, applications and infrastructure, including the policies and procedures which apply.
The Head of IT Security will bring strong leadership and people management abilities. In their role, they must use strategic thinking to identify risks and trends and stay ahead of the threats to the environment they protect. To do this they must be able to understand multiple complex systems and technology at a detail level in a constantly changing threat environment.
A flexible, organized work style is necessary to balance the need for comprehensive, detailed analysis against the instances where they must respond quickly to crises which arrive without warning. The Manager must grasp the issue or problem, identify a resolution plan for the security staff and execute quickly. Excellent communication, documentation and presentation skills will be required.
• Direct and approve the design of security systems;
• Ensure that disaster recovery and business continuity plans are in place and tested;
• Review and approve security policies, controls and cyber incident response planning;
• Approve identity and access policies;
• Review investigations after breaches or incidents, including impact analysis and recommendations for avoiding similar vulnerabilities;
• Maintain a current understanding the IT threat landscape for the industry;
• Ensure compliance with the changing laws and applicable regulations;
• Translate that knowledge to identification of risks and actionable plans to protect the business;
• Schedule periodic security audits;
• Oversee identity and access management;
• Make sure that cyber security policies and procedures are communicated to all personnel and that compliance is enforced;
• Manage all teams, employees, contractors and vendors involved in IT security, which may include hiring;
• Provide training and mentoring to security team members;
• Constantly update the cyber security strategy to leverage new technology and threat information;
• Brief the executive team on status and risks, including taking the role of champion for the overall strategy and necessary budget; and
• Communicate best practices and risks to all parts of the business, outside IT.
Knowledge & Skills
• University degree in Computer Science, IT Security or related field
• Proven working experience within IT and security
• Excellent knowledge of technical management, information analysis and of computer hardware/software systems
• Network security including TCP/IP, communication protocols and vulnerabilities
• Technical knowledge of different types of hardware, storage, imaging and file system analysis
• Regulatory compliance knowledge, including PCI and GDPR
• Understanding of legislation concerning data acquisition, protection and transmission
• Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL), COBIT, ISO and other applicable IT management methods and toolsets
• Standard enterprise and personal operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, Mac OS and UNIX
• Familiarity with multiple software types at the application and enterprise levels
• Mobile operating systems, applications and security protocols
• Protection systems against malware, hacking and other threats
• Secure practices in coding for standard languages, such as C, C++, Java and others
• Policies and procedures for secure computing
• Risk assessment experience
Specific experience desirable but not essential with:
• Cisco certification in CCNA, CCNP and related security fields
• Microsoft Windows Server and client environments
• SCO Openserver Unix / Unixware Configuration, administration & networking
• SUSE or similar Linux Configuration, administration & networking.
• Knowledge & understanding of virtualisation technologies. Including VMWare workstation
• HP & SAN technologies.
• Exchange Server & mail technologies.
• Advanced Networking techniques
Additional knowledge a bonus but not essential in :
• ITIL V4 Foundation or equivalent
• CISSP, CEH, CCNA / Security or CCNP
• Microsoft 365 Environments
• ISO 27001 - Information security management
• ISO 22301 - BDM and DR
• ISO 20001 - IT Service Management
This is a full time permanent position offering a starting salary of £35,000 dependent of experience with a host of other benefits and the opportunity to participate in regular technical meetings and work with the latest technologies. If you would be interested in learning more about this position please send an up to date CV detailing your skills and experiences.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are unable to provide feedback to each applicant. If you have not heard from us within 5 working days please consider that your application has not been successful on this occasion.